Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting HL NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Rowley Regis men deny charges over tragic 22-year-old mother's death
4:47pm Monday 9th September 2013 in News
TWO Rowley Regis men have denied charges in connection with the tragic death of a young mother who was electrocuted in her Sandwell home.
Emma Shaw, a former Asda worker, died while she was mopping up water from a leaky boiler at her home in Grafton Road, West Bromwich.
An inquest jury later decided the 22-year-old who left behind a son who was one at the time of the tragedy in December 2007 had been unlawfully killed.
Christopher Tomkins, 51 of Rowley Village, and 50-year-old Neil Hoult of Dane Terrace both pleaded not guilty to one charge of breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act when they faced Wolverhampton Crown Court.
Tomkins denied failing to carry out an insulation resistance test, entering incorrect readings and details and ticking a box to indicate the prescence of an RCD when the device was not present.
Hoult denied failing to supervise the standards of the electrical work and failing to take reasonable care for the proper recording of results.
Judge John Warner remanded the two men on bail until March 17 when their trial, expected to last for up to 10 days, is scheduled to begin.
Miss Shaw was fatally electrocuted, it is alleged, as a result of the failure of persons who did the electrical checking of her relatively new property.
It is claimed the two men allowed a situation to occur where the property had live components close to an immersion heater when flooding took place two years later and the young mother tried to turn off a stopcock and died at the scene.
Comments are closed on this article.