Gove slammed for snubbing Sandwell in visit to the region

EDUCATION supremo Michael Gove has been criticised for not including Sandwell in his visit to the region.

Mr Gove and Sandwell Council have been at odds since he controversially axed nine school rebuilds in 2010 in the borough just a day after promising the school rebuilding programme would go ahead.

Sandwell MP Tom Watson said: "James Morris appears to have sneaked Michael Gove into the region whilst avoiding Sandwell.

"He must feel the shame of the cuts to schools building programme that outraged so many local families and teachers."

Mr Watson and Sandwell Council leader Darren Cooper are demanding private emails sent by Mr Gove concerning the school rebuilding programme be published and are awaiting the information commissioner Christopher Graham to make a ruling concerning the emails.

However, Mr Gove appeared unconcerned by the furore on Friday.

He said: "I would be very happy to visit Sandwell, I was in Smethwick last year and am hopeful to return again to either Tom Watson, Adrian Bailey or John Spellar's constituencies."

When asked about the emails he said: "It is not for me to second guess what the commissioner will put in his report but like Tom (Watson) I believe in transparency."

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree