Report this comment
  • "This was my uncle, and this article don't seem to ring the truth in my eyes, but hey! He was a very lovely and an amazing gentleman and family
    Man! There isn't enough help for people who have demons inside there head! Who ever wrote this article shame on you! Disgraceful ... If only you knew the truth! Maybe you wouldn't of been so horrible and vile! Remember this gentleman still has a family! And you have now labeled him something he wasn't! He would of given you the last 20p in he's pocket if it created a smile on people's faces! When my father died My 2 younger brothers he looked after them and took them swimming! Vile vile article .. Please don't post any more papers to my house! I Miss you uncle Andy!!! !"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.

  • Enter the above word in the box below

Halesowen dad hanged himself

First published in News

A FATHER who was overcome with anxiety about relationships he had in his youth, hanged himself in the bathroom of his Halesowen home, an inquest heard.

Gardener Andrew Buttery, aged 56, had been on anti-depressants but would not open up to his GP about the cause of his mental ill health.

After discussing possibly taking his own life, GP Dr Francesc Coll, from the Meadowbrook Surgery, contacted the borough’s mental health services.

But Mr Buttery, of Windsor Road, was still waiting for an appointment with staff at the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) when he died.

Mental health nurse Dennis Capewell from the Early Access Service, told yesterday’s inquest was seen on February 20 last year for assessment and was discharged back to his GP for treatment and referral to IAPT for an anxiety management course and counselling.

He had returned on April 18 with his wife and both were “distressed” said Mr Capewell being frustrated at the delay in seeing IAPT and that his anti-depressants were ineffective.

The following day Mr Buttery called mental health nurse Angela Bench at the Crisis Resolution and Treatment Service for help.

She said his mood was low and she wanted him to have a face-to-face assessment, which he could have anytime over the weekend at Russells Hall Hospital’s accident and emergency department.

But he did not go and died on Tuesday April 23.

Dr Coll had seen Mr Buttery several times from January 17 2013 and had first advised counselling, but he wanted medication and anti-depressants were prescribed.

He explained to the inquest that medication could take several weeks before the patient started to see an improvement, but by March 19 he seemed “more cheerful”.

Dr Coll said Mr Buttery, who had suffered from Hodgkins Lymphona as a youth, would not open up to him about his anxiety.

But the GP added: “He said he had thoughts about previous relationships in his youth that came back into his mind.”

On April 19 he told the doctor he did not think his medication was helping which was when he advised him to contact the crisis service.

Dr Coll told the inquest that delays in being seen by Dudley’s secondary mental health services was a “common occurrence”.

Black Country coroner Robin Balmain concluded that Mr Buttery killed himself adding that the GP’s behaviour was “exemplary” and the delays in accessing services were “regrettable”.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree