Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting HL NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Tests in Sandwell uncover 48 'potentially lethal' electric blankets
3:03pm Monday 22nd October 2012 in News
ONE-IN-FIVE electric blankets tested by Sandwell Trading Standards was found to be potentially lethal, it has been revealed.
Residents were invited to have their electric blankets tested for free and out of 251 blankets tested 48 were found to be dangerous.
The faulty blankets were destroyed and the owners given new free replacement blankets.
The percentage of failed blankets was higher than last year when 15 per cent of those tested were found to be faulty.
Cabinet member for neighbourhood services councillor Ian Jones said: "It is frightening to think 19 per cent of the blankets tested this year were found to be dangerous and I am glad Sandwell Council Trading Standards were able to stop a potential accident from happening.”
The five-day survey was carried out earlier this month.
Unsafe electric blankets are a major cause of house fires.
Of fires attribitual to electric blankets, 97 per cent were caused by blankets which were more than 10 years old.
The shock survey was carried out in partnership with the Electrical Safety Council, Age UK Sandwell, Ideal for All and West Midlands Fire Service.