Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting HL NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Oldbury sex attacker should have been stopped earlier - claim
11:00am Thursday 15th November 2012 in Local
A MOTHER claims two young sex assault victims could have been spared their horrific ordeal at the hands of an Oldbury paedophile if police had been able to turn previous accusations against him into a conviction.
The woman - who cannot be identified for legal reasons - reported predatory sex offender Michael Jackson to police in 2003 after discovering fetish paraphernalia where he lived in Dudley at the time.
In the same year the former pirate radio DJ, who was jailed last week for an indefinite period, was investigated by detectives following an allegation of rape, but there was insufficient evidence to charge him.
The case was re-opened after the 50-year-old divorcee was arrested a year ago for the kidnap, false imprisonment and sexual assault of a 10-year-old boy at his Bristnall Hall Road flat.
Detective chief inspector Gary Booth said additional evidence was obtained and Jackson - who changed his name from Albert English by deed poll - was charged with rape.
But he denied the charge and because he was already facing the prospect of a substantial jail term after admitting the offences against the boy and similar offences against an 11-year-old girl, it was dropped by the crown prosecution service.
It also emerged, during his sentencing at Wolverhampton Crown Court, that Jackson was already known to the police, having served 30 months behind bars for the kidnap and indecent assault of a 13-year-old girl in 1983.
The mother, who knew the victim of the alleged rape, said: “I feel absolutely disgusted by it all. Watching the news recently and at the time when he kidnapped that little boy, makes me sick.
“If the police had done their job when he raped (her) this would not have happened.”
The mother also fears Jackson had access to video footage, taken secretly without her knowledge, of her two young daughters dressing and undressing in a friend’s flat where they sometimes stayed.
This information and details of semen-filled nappies, used condoms, newspaper pictures of women which had sticky tape stuck over their mouths, babies dummies and rope, which her older son discovered in Jackson’s flat were reported to Netherton police.
“I saw a sergeant about four times, but I don’t think he took me seriously and they could not find any film footage.
“But I am 100 percent certain my daughters were filmed and I believe those images were put on the internet,” she said.
DCI Booth said: “This woman disclosed to investigators her concerns regards unusual items she believed were in Jackson's flat, namely soiled nappies, used condoms and pornography.
“However, whilst these may appear 'unhealthy' items to most individuals, possessing them does not in itself constitute a criminal offence."
Shelly Showell, who founded Sandwell United Parents in the wake of the Jackson’s arrest, said she hoped that if the investigations had been carried out now the outcome would have been different.
“I don’t know why they didn’t take him to court before but things have changed now and I would like to think they would make more indepth inquiries today.
“There is also a huge need for tougher sentencing to rid these disgusting people from our streets,” she added.
Comments are closed on this article.