Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting HL NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Shock new figures on D deficiency
9:00am Sunday 14th October 2012 in NewsXtra
Nine out of ten people could be vitamin D deficient, with nearly two thirds severely lacking, according to new figures.
The extraordinary findings, announced ahead of a major national awareness campaign, suggest a massive proportion of the UK population are at risk of a range of debilitating symptoms brought on by deficiency.
Of those diagnosed as being severely deficient, most (71 per cent) do not take any form of supplement- highlighting a clear link between deficiency and supplementation.
The findings come from a survey by health pioneers BetterYou, who are supporting National Vitamin D Awareness Week, which aims to raise public understanding of the dangers of deficiency.
Andrew Thomas, founder and managing director at BetterYou, said: “Our findings further confirm what we have long suspected, that our nation is far more deficient in vitamin D than we would care to admit.
“Almost ninety per cent of 168 people interviewed provided either classic symptoms of advanced vitamin D deficiency or listed multiple lifestyle conditions which would predispose them to be deficient. These include a combination of having darker skin pigmentation, spending daylight hours indoors and excessive use of UV sun cream.
“These findings simply reinforce our support of the UK’s first National Vitamin D Awareness Week. The subject has been discussed in the House of Commons, leading to “at risk” groups being identified and supplementation recommendations made by our Department of Health. The awareness week is the natural next step to raise understanding with the general public.”
Other findings from the survey of 168 UK adults show most (77 per cent) spend much of their day indoors. This puts people at risk of deficiency because 90 per cent of the body’s vitamin D must come from sun exposure, with the other 10 per cent from our diet.
Almost half of those surveyed also said they regularly suffer with low energy levels (47 per cent) and 40 per cent experienced regular aches and pains in their bones and joints. Both are key symptoms of deficiency.
BetterYou, a pioneer of the sub-lingual delivery of vitamin D, has previously serum tested over 250 members of the UK general public and not found one to be displaying a healthy and sustainable level of vitamin D.
Earlier this year the Chief Medical Officer for England, Dame Sally Davies announced her concerns to health professionals regarding a rise in vitamin D related conditions, asking them to consider vitamin D supplementation for at risk groups, including pregnant mothers.
Following this, it was announced by Labour MP Kate Green in September, that cases of rickets have increased more than 400 per cent since 1996.
National Vitamin D Awareness Week runs from Monday, October 29 to Sunday, November 4. To support the week, BetterYou is offering everyone the chance to boost their vitamin D levels, with 20 per cent discount off its DLux range of daily vitamin D sprays. Type ‘Sunshine’ into the checkout when buying online at www.betteryou.uk.com.