Aston ready to face Jesus

First published in Sport

RYAN Aston is ready to take another step forward when he faces Gilson de Jesus this Saturday — slightly later than planned.

The Dudley middleweight tackles the Nottingham-based Angolan over six rounds at Blackpool’s Winter Gardens this Saturday, almost three months to the day they were originally due to meet on the undercard of Prizefighter.

A cut first suffered in a technical draw with Tyan Booth and which then re-opened in sparring forced the Dudley man to withdraw.

But after ending a frustrating few months with a convinving points win over Kirill Psonko last month, Aston is keen to push on against a fighter who has lost five of his seven professional bouts.

Aston said: “His record does not say a lot for him.

“We looked for him before in January but when I had problems with the cut I had to withdraw.

“He is quite erratic and he does throw heavy bombs when he comes forward, he will lunge forward and try to throw three or four at once.

“My plan will be to just box him, dominate with the jab and then take it from there.”

The victory over Psonko came over four rounds and Aston believes the increased distance will be in his favour.

He said: “I’m used to six rounds and would much rather box six than four, it’s much better for me.

“I always feel I can take my time and work him as the rounds go on.

“By the third or fourth round the punches will start to take effect and he won’t be able to cope.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree