Evo-Stik League Division One South – Saturday, 26th October 2013 Halesowen Town 3 Goole AFC 2

Halesowen bounced back to winning ways but made heavy weather of collecting all three points despite coasting into an early two goal lead - writes David Johnson

Recent major changes made visitors Goole an unknown quantity but Iyseden Christie soon stroked the Yeltz into a 10th minute lead with a neat finish from a quickly taken Tom Tonks throw-in.

Ben Haseley doubled the lead with a comfortable trademark 19th goal of the season after collecting Christie’s 19th minute flick.

In further one-way traffic, Haseley headed just wide and volleyed over the bar against the ragged Goole defence.

Yet, to everyone’s surprise, the Yeltz went in at half-time level at 2-2 due to two shock Goole goals in the six minutes preceding the break.

Goalkeeper Sam Pearson was caught out of goal and let in William Johnson-Cole to slot home from a wide angle after 39 minutes and captain Stephen Wakefield then stole in to head home David Taylor’s 45th minute cross to level for the Vikings.

The second half became a battle of attrition with Halesowen looking to regain the advantage against Goole’s newly inspired confidence.

Influential MacKenzie finally tucked away Halesowen’s 73rd minute winner from the penalty spot after substitute Jean-Michel Gueyes was brought down by Ashley Jackson, despite protestations from the Goole full-back.

With 12 minutes remaining, Christie laid the ball into the path of Yeltz substitute Elliott Turner but he fired wide to end a game with plenty to digest for both camps.

Halesowen now kick off at 7.30pm on Tuesday in the Birmingham Senior Cup tie at home to Wolves.

Halesowen Town: Sam Pearson; Kristian Green, Brendan Kelly, Neil MacKenzie, Joe Hull (c), Curtis Tilt, Matt Martin (Jean-Michel Gueyes 68), Tom Tonks, Iyseden Christie (Nigel Penney 84), Ben Haseley, Aaron Griffiths (Elliott Turner 68). Unused Subs: Adam Meacham, Paul Evans (GK).

Goole AFC: Liam Flynn; Jason Yates, Ashley Jackson, Derry Robson, Sam Colbear, Stephen Wakefield (c), James Cottingham (Reece Richiardi 84), Tyler Williams, Luke Medley, William Johnson-Cole, David Taylor. Unused Sub: Adam Stevens.

Referee: Stuart Eagland Attendance: 344