Evo-Stik League Division One South – Tuesday, 5th November 2013 Halesowen Town 2 Kidsgrove Athletic 0

HALESOWEN moved up to third place after grinding out victory with a goal in each half against basement side Kidsgrove - writes DAVID JOHNSON.

The Yeltz introduced former Coventry City, Tamworth and Chasetown forward Avun Jephcott and goalkeeper Matthew Sargeant from Worcester City and it was Sergeant who was soon in the early action by palming away Matt Haddrell’s 10th minute looping header.

But Halesowen established a 12th minute lead when Jephcott’s ball down the left broke for Ben Haseley to lash home his 22nd goal of the season past goalkeeper Daniel Read in emphatic fashion.

In the hunt for second goal a 25 yard goal-bound strike from Tom Tonks was tipped around the post by goalkeeper Read and Matt Martin glanced a header just wide.

Kidsgrove defender Karl Espley was then fortunate to stay on the pitch after committing two fouls on the edge of the Yeltz penalty area within three minutes.

Unlucky Haseley took the ball full in the face when charging down a clearance from goalkeeper Read and was substituted with a nasty eye injury just four minutes into the second half.

But the Yeltz plugged away in a second period of few chances and Joe Hull’s 59th minute header brought a good reflex save from Read as he met a long throw-in from Tonks.

Halesowen finally doubled the lead after an hour when Jephcott broke down the left and crossed for Tonks to slam a half volley into the roof of the net from 12 yards.

Halesowen Town: Matthew Sargeant; Kristian Green, Brendan Kelly, Neil MacKenzie (Adam Meacham 70), Joe Hull (c), Curtis Tilt, Matt Martin, Tom Tonks, Avun Jephcott (Daniel Waldron 79), Ben Haseley (Aaron Griffiths 49), Elliott Turner. Unused Subs: Iyseden Christie, Sam Pearson (GK).

Kidsgrove Athletic: Daniel Read; Andrew Taylor (c), Ryan Grocott (Wayne Johnson 79), Karl Espley, Philip Parkinson, Chris Smith, Kevin Street, Adam Yates, Matt Haddrell, Thomas Wakefield (Wesley Wilkinson 70), Shane Reaney. Unused Subs: Aiden Matranga, Darren Twigg.

Referee: Shaun Barry Attendance: 275