An elderly couple have been treated for smoke inhalation after a "severe" fire in their Quinton home.

The blaze, in the bedroom of the semi-detached property in Ridgacre Road, last night, is believed to have been started by a faulty TV.

Watch commander Thomas Bell, of Woodgate Valley Fire Station, said the couple escaped from the house after they were alerted to the blaze by a smoke alarm.

He said: "An electrical fault on the TV was the cause of the fire.

"The couple had suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to hospital to check them over.

"The bedroom was completely destroyed.

"This shows the importance of smoke alarms, and also they had shut the doors of other rooms which had stopped the fire spreading."

West Midlands Fire Service tweeted at around 9pm on Monday: "Crews from Woodgate and Oldbury have attended a severe bedroom fire in Quinton, on first floor of semi detached house, believed to have started from a faulty TV. 2 elderly occupiers were treated for smoke inhalation and going to hospital for precautionary checks."

Residents who wish to register for a free Safe and Well visit from the fire service, which includes free smoke alarms if required, can call 0800 389 5525.