A BALTI house's former owner was 'playing with human life' by falsely advertising a dish as peanut-free, a court heard.

Reza Ul-Islam - the former director of B68 Indian Cuisine Ltd, trading as B68 Indian Cuisine and Takeaway - pleaded guilty to food offences at Birmingham Magistrates Court on February 7.

Tests had discovered the outlet's lamb korma and rice dish - advertised as peanut-free - contained enough of a trace of peanuts to give someone with an allergy an anaphylactic reaction.

Ul-Islam, 26, from Birmingham, was sentenced to a 12-month community order with supervision and 150 hours of unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay the prosecution costs of £1,995 plus a victim surcharge of £85.

In passing sentence, magistrates said they were taking the matter very seriously because Ul-Islam had been “playing with human life”.

They added it was his “lucky day” that custody was not the sentence as he had pleaded guilty and had no other offences.

Sandwell Council's trading standards team uncovered the potentially fatal situation at the takeaway on Hagley Road West in December 2017.

Officers were testing food served in takeaways and restaurants to check bosses were complying with strict rules on food allergens and food labelling.

Tests discovered the lamb korma and rice dish which was sold as being peanut-free actually contained over 40g per kg of peanuts.

Experts said this would easily be enough to cause an anaphylactic reaction – which can result in death – in someone allergic to peanuts.

Officers said it was not known how the meal became contaminated with peanut as Ul-Islam had failed to co-operate with trading standards during the investigation.

Forty premises were visited across Sandwell between September and December 2017 and three sold meals that contained dangerous levels of peanuts.

A further two meals tested contained trace levels of peanut but not at a high enough level to cause a reaction.

Businesses are legally required to warn customers about any allergens in food.

Sandwell Council's cabinet member for public health and protection Councillor Elaine Costigan said: "It's shocking to think of a business serving food to members of the public putting someone's life at risk in this way.

"We've all heard of the tragic but thankfully rare circumstances of people who have died or become seriously ill after they’ve eaten something without knowing it contains a substance they are allergic to.

“Our trading standards team does vital work in keeping us all safe when we’re eating out and I want to congratulate them for bringing this prosecution.

"I dread to think of the consequences had someone with a peanut allergy eaten this dish.”