DUDLEY Kingswinford RFC opened their league campaign with a hard fought victory over newly promoted Worcester.

Despite dominating for long periods and having 75 per cent plus of the possession and territory, the visitors could only score three tries and failed to gain a bonus point. The home side tackled like tigers throughout and though their attacking options were very limited, Wanderers, who have achieved promotions in consecutive seasons, will cause many sides in this league a few problems.

DK surprisingly left out skipper Ben Connett, fit again after an injury, and his absence certainly affected a disjointed DK lineout until finally sorted in the second half.

With star centre Stefan Shillingford on holiday, Simon Fletcher and Ben Coles formed a new centre partnership.

Coach John Higgins had a very good game at scrum half, while loose head prop Richard Kelley, injured for a large part of last season made an excellent return, scoring a try and very prominent in both tight and loose.

DK were stunned after only two minutes as Worcester took an early lead. A penalty catch and drive five metres out seemed to be easily held and DK seemed to have won the maul only for it to run loose and be snapped up by Chris Griffiths who went over.

DK hit back but poor lineout execution saw them lose good possession and at this stage.

Gradually they settled and Gareth Bown pulled back a penalty on 12 minutes. Higgins then went over the line but a desperate last ditch tackle saw the ball wrenched from his grasp, before James Jefferson dropped the ball when about to score.

DK finally did nose in front 6-5 Bown converted another kicka and the constant pressure finally told as Rich Kelley drove over following a penalty catch and drive to make it 11-5 at the half.

The visitors scored a second try after 48 minutes. Pete Knight stole possession from Worcester in their 22 and it was quickly spun out to Ben Coles who scored an un-coverted try wide out.

They further increased their lead after 68 minutes with another well worked try. Worcester again lost possession in their 22 and the ball was whipped out to Jak Davis in space on the left wing.

The young DK paceman, who had an impressive game, easily outpaced the cover to score in the corner. Gareth Bown added a magnificent conversion from the touchline.

DK looked home and dry but as they tried to force the pace to get the fourth try and gain a bonus point, they overegged it and got caught in possession twice on 68 and 72 minutes, conceding penalties for holding onto the ball on both occasions.