OLD Halesonians RFC continued their 100 per cent start to the season with a 16-5 win at Worcester Wanderers.

The visitors got off to a flying start when almost straight from the kick off a Worcester infringement gave full back Chris Hooper a simple penalty attempt.

Perhaps the early lead for OH lulled them into a false sense of security as the remainder of the match was a hard fought, tight affair.

This was especially true of the first half as the home side seemed to edge the visitors in terms of possession. However, a further breakthrough came for the visitors midway through.

A Dean Powell break from defence led to his accurate kick to the corner and a good chase and gather from winger Luke Smith was rewarded as he outstripped his opposite number for pace to score out wide.

Worcester continued to battle and their efforts were rewarded not long before half-time when a good passage of play saw young recruit Geoff Grant go over.

But the conversion was unsuccessful and was followed by another Hooper penalty just before half-time, as the visitors went in 11-5 up.

The second half was equally as hard fought with the sole score coming from Smith, with his second of the game, 20 minutes in.

Hales skipper Richard Taylor said: “Although we're obviously pleased to remain unbeaten we failed to take the opportunities we'd made for ourselves and gave away far too many penalties.

“But a lot of this came from frustration at some of the decisions handed out by the ref.”

Old Hales Colts recorded their first win of the year with a 22-0 triumph at Sutton Coldfield.

After nervous early exchanges Old Hales started to dominate up front and took the ball up field with a series of pick and goes, resulting in prop Orie Shaw driving through a number of players to score under the posts and Hales then forced a penalty from which Billy Taylor added a further three points.

A further turnover saw outside half Jack Linehan go in for the second try.

Hales played into the wind during the second half but were still dominant in both scrum and lineout. It was from a scrum that the ball was passed to outside centre Mike Wilkinson, who showed superb pace to leave his man and sprint 50 metres for the score.