AN Evesham man will spend Christmas behind bars after being jailed for a “ferocious attack” in which a victim was hit repeatedly by his own snooker cue.

Megan Harrison, chairman of the magistrates bench, said the assault was so serious on victim Colin Burville it warranted “immediate custody”.

Robert Collins, of Cheltenham Road, Evesham, had originally pleaded guilty to assault a person thereby occasioning actual bodily harm, as well as possession of cannabis and cocaine, at the first hearing on November 15.

Shafqat Reaz, prosecuting at Worcester Magistrates Court on December 5, said in a personal victim statement the victim had said he intervened in an argument between Collins and a female in Evesham on February 13, fearing she would be assaulted.

But Collins, 21, turned on the victim and snatched the cue he was carrying, hitting him and causing injuries to the face that led to bleeding, and cuts in his mouth that could have an impact on the victim for the rest of his life.

Magistrates were shown the injuries and Mr Reaz added the victim had also suffered psychological harm in the unprovoked, sustained attack.

The prosecutor said: “He (the victim) states, ‘I have been very scared to go out. It dramatically has affected my independence. I’m very anxious when I’m out in town, in case I see him again. I saved up to buy the snooker cue - it was taken from me and used against me’.”

The prosecutor added it was firmly in the highest category for sentencing, arguing he could be jailed for up to three years.

READ MORE: Confusion over incorrect sign on playground

READ MORE: Labour and Lib Dem posters damaged, Evesham

Sunil Jagatia, defending, said the case had been adjourned for the pre sentence report, and Collins had arrived at court prepared to go to prison.

But, Mr Jagatia argued a jail sentence could be suspended, or another form of punishment imposed as Collins, who had just become a dad, had shown remorse. “He suspects his drink was spiked, (before he carried out the attack),” said Mr Jagatia.

“He doesn’t recall what happened. When he was told about the injuries, he was horrified. When he was shown the CCTV he couldn’t believe what had happened”.

After nearly 20 minutes deliberation, magistrates decided to jail him for six months, of which he will likely serve half. For the possession of cannabis and cocaine there was no separate penalty. Collins was also ordered to pay compensation of £300, and a victim surcharge of £115.