Droitwich started the game the better of the two sides and straight away started attacking Old Hales in their own 22.  Once again, Old Hales discipline got the better of them and they gave away several penalties which fortunately for the visiting side, Droitwich failed to capitalise.

The home side’s persistence however paid off and they scored a try to take the lead 5-0, missing the conversion.

From the next kick off, Old Hales finally managed to get into the home side 22 and after strong play by the forwards, man of the match, Tim Daly, scored the first of his two tries.  This was converted by fly half, Steve Powell to make the score 5-7.

No sooner had Old Hales taken the lead, Droitwich fought back and following a lucky bounce, the wing forward raced and scored in the corner, converted to make the score 12-7.

Both sides continued to attack and both sides conceded a number of penalties.  Finally after a flowing set of moves from both forwards and backs, Wing, Jake Reece Moore scored a try for Old Hales, again converted by Steve Powell to make the half time score 12-14.

Second half kick off saw more ill-discipline and back chat from Old Hales, giving the home side a penalty which they scored to give the home side a 15-14 advantage.

However, Old Hales strong scrum and attacking play meant they started to take control of the game and after a flowing move, unfortunately, the ball was intercepted by a Droitwich player who raced half the length of the field to make the score 20-14.  The conversion was missed.

The visiting side dug dep for the final 20 minutes, putting Droitwich under a lot of pressure resulting in Tim Daly’s second try, again converted by Steve Powell to make the score 20-21.

With their confidence high, Old Hales continued t attack and after some good work, attack coach Tom Jarvis went over to score, again converted by Steve Powell to make the score 20-28.

Into injury time, you would be forgiven for thinking the game was over, Old Hales were attacking well and a missed pass allowed Droitwich to kick through and chase the ball after another lucky bounce which allowed them to score and convert to make the score 27-28.

Old Hales managed to hold on to possession for the last couple of minutes to make sure of the win.

Old Hales welcome Hereford next week at The Grove, 2.15 kick off.

Report submitted by Old Halesonians