Stourbridge 4, Coalville 2

A LEON Broadhurst double saw Stourbridge overcome Coalville to extend their lead at the top of the Southern League Central.

It was a clash that swung one way then the other as Town posed a danger in attack throughout.

However, Broadhurst’s brace, a penalty from Greg Mills and a stunning Luke Benboiw free-kick saw Stour take advantage of second-placed Kettering losing at Banbury.

The visitors started the brighter and took the lead after just two minutes as Andrew Wright volleyed neatly beyond keeper James Wren as Stour failed to clear.

Town kept the pressure on after going ahead and kept the hosts on the back foot at a wet and windy War Memorial Ground.

Stour worked their first chance when Greg Mills’ drive from the edge of the box was deflected over on nine minutes but they remained short of ideas in attack as Luke Benbow cut an isolated figure.

The home side had more joy approaching 20 minutes, however, as Benbow’s overhead kick on 17 minutes sailed just wide before Leon Broadhurst scuffed an effort from 12 yards past the post three minutes later.

The Glassboys did finally recover from that early set-back after Mills escaped down the left flank and went down under the challenge of Kalern Thomas who had just got the wrong side of the winger as he burst into the box on 29 minutes.

The ref quickly pointed to the spot and Mills dispatched it himself to draw the sides level.

Stour now had the momentum and it took Town stopper Richard Walton’s legs to deny Benbow on 35 minutes.

They nearly took the lead five minutes before the break but were denied by the linesman’s flag after Leon Broadhurst had glanced in Robert Thompson-Brown’s in-swinging free-kick from the left.

The second half saw another early goal but this time it went the way of the hosts.

Walton clawed away Benbow’s powerful angled drive four minutes in but Broadhurst was on hand at the far post to head home via the covering defender.

Coalville reacted well to going behind and were soon finding space and breaking with pace looking for a leveller.

They got it just before the hour mark when Luke Shaw’s glancing header at the near post beat Wren.

Town should then have snatched the lead on 61 minutes but Kairo Mitchell fired weakly at Wren with the goal at his mercy after breaking in behind.

The Glassboys needed to find something special in difficult conditions and got it from Benbow on 65 minutes after Mills had been fouls just outside the box.

Benbow stepped up and fired a brilliant dipping effort over the wall and beyond Walton to make it 3-2.

Stour bagged a vital two-goal cushion on 75 minutes when Broadhurst made no mistake to fire home his second after a deep corner found him unmarked at the far post.

The game opened up further in the closing stages as Coalville pushed on for a lifeline.

Wren denied sub Dan Creaney with a solid low save with five minutes left on the clock to make sure his side didn’t face an uncomfortable final few moments.

Stourbridge: Wren, Hayden, Brown (Christophorou 80), McCone (c), Westlake, Forde, Powell, Broadhurst, Benbow, Thompson-Brown (Birch 63), Mills (Anderson 80).

Unused subs: Pierpoint, Maher.

Coalville: Walton, Thomas, Fenton, Towers (c), Freeman, Doyle-Charles, Shaw (Browne 80), Wright (Creaney 80), Berridge, Mitchell, McGlinchey.

Unused subs: Burrows, Martin, Coton.

Att: 451.